Would you wear a peplum skirt? If so ASOS is the place to go!

I know, I really need to train the 6 year old on how to take photos with this iPhone. It’s funny because with most technology she is away ahead of me – Netflix (I don’t even know how to get it on), the iPad (she managed to rack up a bill of £25 the other day buy buying extra bits and bobs I didn’t know about) and TV remotes she can work like a dream. I’m starting to smell a rat – and it smells of reluctance!

Anyway, no doubt many of you will be aware of the trend for peplum skirts. As with any new trend, I think that it is definitely worth taking a closer look at. As we get older, the options do narrow down, so if something is not too short, too low cut or too covered in slogans (amongst other things) it’s definitely worth considering, even if it is subsequently de-considered (not that that is a proper word!)

Unlike peplum tops, I can get my head around these. I never saw the purpose of peplum tops (on me at least) – the peplum just looked too contrived and as if it would get in the way. Why it should be different with peplum skirts I have absolutely no idea because arguably I should view them in the same way, but for some reason I don’t (not yet anyway)!

This Whistles dress that I am wearing has a peplum skirt to it, although because it has a drop waist, it’s not particularly fitted.

I haven’t seen many in the stores as yet but ASOS has a great selection if you’re tempted. The length can be tricky so bear in mind that heels and a fairly fitted top will be needed to get the proportions right.  What do you think – tempted or not?!

yellow peplum skirt ASOS (£55)

black and white peplum skirt ASOS (£55)

pink peplum skirt ASOS (£55)

floral pink peplum skirt ASOS (£45)

1. PoppysStyle
    February 19, 2014 / 4:07 pm

I think they are stunning statement skirts – the ASOS ones are beautiful.

2. StyleGuile
    February 19, 2014 / 4:08 pm

Hi Joanna – have you gone there yet? It's tempting!

3. Annabel
    February 19, 2014 / 5:44 pm

I really like it. I have a red Topshop dress in exactly this shape and like to think it looks very Valentino (possibly deluded!).

February 20, 2014 / 10:47 pm

Hi Annabel it sounds amazing and I'm sure that you're not in the least bit deluded!

4. Another 40+ blogger ;)
    February 19, 2014 / 7:23 pm

i do like them, but the really floral one reminds me a little of a lampshade!

February 20, 2014 / 10:48 pm

Yep, I can see where you are coming from – and no doubt a helpful husband/partner/boyfriend/son would be the first to point that out to anyone who buys it!

5. Lula Belle
    February 19, 2014 / 8:48 pm

Love the black and white one and am very tempted!

February 20, 2014 / 10:48 pm

Oooh, let me know how you get on if you do take the plunge!

6. Anastasia
    February 20, 2014 / 3:40 am

i tried a little flapper dress with this style – it just didnt flatter my pear shape at all – but I think a straight up and down kinda gal can get away with this! looks great on you!

February 20, 2014 / 10:50 pm

Hi Anastasia – I think that some may be better than others. In theory, the width of the peplum should balance out curvier hips in the same way that a boot cut does on a trouser. However these things don't always work in reality do they?!

7. Carol
    February 20, 2014 / 8:42 am

Looks great with the shoes too! However as Anastasia says, not for us pear shapes! Beth any ideas on skirts and dresses for those of us whose hips are proportionally wider than our top halves? I like the look of skater skirts but all the ones I've tried on seem to be aimed at 15 year olds!

February 20, 2014 / 10:52 pm

Hi Carol – leave it with me to have a think. Generally A-line, or something with a little volume are more flattering but skaters have too much fabric in them, all of which comes from the waistband. H&M have a good style at the moment – I have one downstairs so will post it one day soon along with some others.

February 20, 2014 / 10:29 pm

Lovely post, nice ideas. Also refreshing to see someone doing a blog and not wearing the usual skinny jeans/ big scarf uniform. I was beginning to think it was compulsory!! We'll done x

February 20, 2014 / 10:54 pm

Thank you – although you probably just caught me on a good day as I am very guilty of a skinny jeans and scarf look too! I will bear what you have said in mind though and keep trying to mix it up a little.