Fashion round up of the week – things I have bought, spotted and found on my travels

It has to be said that my husband is far too good a cook by anyone’s standards. Combine that with a son who has a penchant for baking chocolate cakes and this is not a house to be in. Which is why I find myself blogging from my bed – it’s the only comfortable place to be right now.

With friends round for dinner last night, brunch today and home made calzones this evening, it’s all I can do to lift my fingers to type. Added to which I had the bright idea of doing a blindfolded chocolate tasting session as part of the Mother’s Day activities. Never to do things by half, the family bought 17 different types of chocolate to try. I gave up at ten. Those rows of Easter eggs in the Supermarket hold no temptation for me right now. Give it a couple of days and I am sure that it will be a different matter but as for now….

Fashion seems to be standing a still at the moment. I cracked out the converse a few weeks ago, only to return them to the wardrobe when my feet nearly fell off through being cold. We have had snow flurries on and off all day so it doesn’t feel as though we are any further forward than we were just after Christmas. However even if it’s still the same jumpers and jeans being worn on a rotating basis like many others, that doesn’t stop me from planning.

I had a brief trip to Bicester last week, which saw this All Saints dress come my way. Reduced from £110 to £33, I really liked the print and the fact that it was slightly longer at the back than at the front. I can do a little layering with it when it finally does start to warm up and when it’s really hot, it will work pretty much on its own.

I am a big fan of Hobbs NW3 shoes and liked that these were a little bit quirky. Reduced from £189 to £45, they will work with the above dress, tailored ankle length trousers, wide and skinny jeans and I have a couple of skirts in mind to wear them with too. Still need the sun for these though!

I love All Saints for their leather jackets, particularly when they are on sale at Bicester. With all things metallic being so big for s/s ’13 I thought that I would show you this silver one, just in case anyone was on the hunt for one right now.

I also spotted – excuse the pun – this spotty dress in Hobbs. For those of you who have been reading Style Guile for a while, you will probably recognise it as one that I have worn on here several times. I know that there were some of you who were after one and for a while they were hard to get hold of but there is a good stock of them at the Hobbs in Bicester and in all sizes too.

Whilst flicking through the Johnnie B catalogue this week, I also came across this quilted jacket. You may remember that I wrote a post about them a while ago now, including some from Anthropologie, Zara, Hobbs and I have also seen one in Monsoon too. I really like this navy and white spotty one with the floral trim and at £38 it may be worth a whirl. The link gives a much better idea of how it really looks. I suppose there’s a risk that I could bump into an 8 year old wearing one but if it’s the right jackt for me, I’m happy to take the risk.

Moving on to a different topic of conversation, Dungarees – would you or wouldn’t you? My initial reaction was not in a million, no way, never, been there done that at University with monkey boots, just for good measure. I haven’t deviated far from that position but think that they actually look OK in the picture below. This is probably the first photograph of dungarees that I have seen on a non-model and I like them on her. I’m still not saying that I would go there but I can see the appeal – slightly. These are from Topshop but I can’t see them online at the moment.

As an alternative, Topshop has this frill pinafore by JW Anderson – £75. This is a back shot, just in case you were wondering about the dodgy design! I really like these but maybe it’s because I have a Muji apron which is really similar in design, which I also like wearing. Some things just can’t be explained, so it’s best not to try to.

River Island (£40) has these dungarees which are in a smarter, non-denim fabric. I can see these appealing to those who have already worn denim dungarees and who are looking for a pair to wear in a more sophisticated way.  I can imagine that you might still be likened to a three year old in them – and no doubt there would be retorts from witty males – but again, I can see the possibilities for them, just not for me. Not yet at least. What say you?

March 10, 2013 / 9:55 pm

A model was wearing the RI dungarees on Mother's Day Fashion on This Morning on Friday. They looked really nice on her with a blouse and a monochrome patterned blazer over the top.

March 17, 2013 / 7:24 pm

Hello! Liking the sound of that, provided that the time and the place was right – which I am not sure that it is around here but you never know…Thanks for passing that on, much appreciated.

March 10, 2013 / 11:27 pm

No, definitely can't ever see myself in dungarees. Associate them with toddlers! Very cute dress from Bicester. I look forward to seeing how you style this.

March 17, 2013 / 7:25 pm

Hi Helen – sounds like that's a definite no no, whereas with me the jury is out (ish)! Thanks re the dress – just waiting for some warmer weather now!

3. PoppysStyle
    March 10, 2013 / 11:50 pm

Adore that AllSaints leather jacket – I am in the market for one from them!! I might have to pay Bicester a visit when I am back again in June!:)

March 17, 2013 / 7:26 pm

June? How exciting – not that long now then. And I see that you have invested in some dungarees – you must share with us. What will the Atlanta ladies make of them?!!!

4. Treasuresnpleasures
    March 11, 2013 / 7:23 am

That all saints dress is gorgeous Beth, I'm trying to inject more blue into my wardrobe and that dress would fit the bill perfectly. The dungarees are a no no for me I'm afraid, I can't even put them on my son, I just really don't like them! Jealous of all the chocolate eating, I'm off it for lent and seriously struggling at the mo!

March 17, 2013 / 7:28 pm

Oooh, you virtuous lady you, giving up chocolate for lent. It will taste sweet and horrible when you try it again. There's also a top in the same print which I nearly went for, so that might be an option for you to wear with jeans. Thanks for dropping by.x

5. GlamRosie
    March 11, 2013 / 11:31 am

I love dungarees on the right shaped person, but I am to long waisted for them, I love that Toppers dress as a slight alternative though! x

March 17, 2013 / 7:29 pm

Ouch! I am sure that there will be lots of variations on the theme around this summer – it's just a case of finding the least "dungaree like" type of dungarees, if you get my drift!

6. katradcliffe
    March 11, 2013 / 11:50 am

Hi, I really must do a trip to Bicester, as I've never been! I'm a big fan of all- in- ones so I think given the right pair I could possible bring myself round to dungarees!! x

March 17, 2013 / 7:33 pm

Yeah! Liking the sound of the possibility of dungarees. If you would like to drop me a line at style@bethgoodrham.com I might be able to help you with a complimentary day of personal styling with me at Bicester.

7. Style At Every Age
    March 11, 2013 / 1:20 pm

Two of my three girls have a pair of Dungarees. The eldest has the river island ones and my youngest girl the denim Topshop. At 23 and 20 years old, I honestly believe this is the age bracket who should be wearing them and I am sticking to the "if you wore them the first time round" plus I would look really stupid in them now, you need a good figure xx

March 17, 2013 / 7:35 pm

Hi Sharron – possibly a great philosophy on that one! I sometimes feel the same when it comes to re-invented trends and our daughter. I would probably have a sneaky try on though when they weren't around!

8. Keri Gray
    March 22, 2013 / 7:30 pm

Oh my goodness those Hobbs shoes – gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous find!