The 12 outfits of Christmas – Outfit 1: The Carol Service

This time last year I ran a feature entitled “The 12 days of Christmas” during which, predictably, I showed an outfit a day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas.

This year I’m calling the feature “The 12 outfits of Christmas”. Why the title should be different when the content will be the same I have absolutely no idea – but there it is.

Outfit 1 is what I wore to the school carol service yesterday.  It is a lovely event – a full on affair, held in the chapel by candlelight with the pupils in traditional blue capes, the choir in their robes and the teachers having a “robe-off” of their own. It was observed that none of the teachers’ robes had fur on them which is just as well because I may have adopted one of them as my own.

The nature of the occasion made me think that it would be nice to wear my velvet(ish) Jigsaw wide leg trousers, which I haven’t worn for a long time. They are lovely and drapey – and so comfortable too. It’s also nice to have a change from skinny trousers/jeans.

I know that some people have an aversion to lilac but I like it in small doses.  This jumper is from Cos and underneath it I wore a white long sleeved T and a “collar on a bib” contraption from Cos. As the trousers are long, I needed a heel to go with them, so wore my Jigsaw shoe boots I am carrying a gold snake print purse with a purple trim, which is from Boden.

leather-shoe-boot

I’m pleased to have given the trousers a test run in a place where a) it was dark and b) no-one saw them. Now that I am satisfied that I am OK to be seen out in public in them, I shall wear them again. Outft 2 is already in its planning stage!

As for the picture, sorry about that. The 4 year old was the only one available to be David Bailey.

December 14, 2012 / 10:50 pm

It is so nice to see wide legged trousers for a change. You should definitely wear them again, they look great. I love Cos, so the jumper is a hit with me and really like the way the clutch pulled it all together. Looking forward to seeing Outfit 2!

December 18, 2012 / 10:27 pm

Hi Helen – it was nice to wear wide legged trousers for a change! Cos is a fave of mine too and this jumper was really warm too. Hope that you have liked the other outfits. I need to line up some exotic events so I can wear some fancy pants outfits – good excuse for a party!

December 15, 2012 / 4:39 am

Your legs go on forever in this look; Elle MacPherson eat your heart out. The lilac is lovely too.

December 18, 2012 / 10:28 pm

Hello! At least there's one advantage of having your photos taken by a 4 year old – the angle is much more flattering. I should hire her out!

3. Celia Bell
    December 15, 2012 / 8:56 am

Outfit looks great. I have some wide leg black trousers from Wallis which I forgot about, am going to wear them on one of my 12 outfits to Christmas, thanx

December 18, 2012 / 10:29 pm

Hi Celia – glad to be of service. Hope that your Wallis trousers work well for you!

4. Thea (Journey To Style)
    December 15, 2012 / 10:48 am

Those trousers do really give you wonderfully long legs. They look great – no need to save them for wearing in the dark!And I'm very intrigued by the "collar on a bib contraption from Cos."More details (and a link / photo?) please!

December 18, 2012 / 10:34 pm

Hi Thea – good to hear from you. Hope that you are well. It's odd how something that's been consigned to the "no" pile suddenly becomes a "yes" isn't it? I will provide a link when I have mo!

5. mrs green @myzerowaste
    December 15, 2012 / 7:11 pm

Really? People have an aversion to lilac? It's one of my favourite colours. I LOVE this outfit on your Beth; it looks so stylish and the cut of the trousers really flatter you. I'm definitely taking inspiration from this one! I'm pretty skinny so do wide trousers look good or are they likely to make me look an odd shape?

December 18, 2012 / 10:32 pm

Hello! Thanks for your comments – glad that you like the outfit. Even if you are slim, wide leg trousers are fine. I think that the ones that are more of a drapey fabric are better than really stiff ones which don't move as well with you. They won't make you look an odd shape – maybe taller (if worn with heels) and slimmer (because of their hip narrowing capabilities) but not odd!