Mum on the Run – Today you can be my mirror. Is it a yes or a no?!

Prints – something we instinctively either love or loathe! I first saw this Carnaby dress in the Boden catalogue and then in the Boden store. Although drawn to it, I was in two minds until I saw Chloe from Boden wearing it at their press day – and it looked fantastic on her.

So with that in mind, I decided that I would give it a whirl and take it with me on our girls’ weekend away to see what my friends thought. Out of the three who were with me, there were two “yes” and one “no”. My husband is a “no” our son a “yes”.

Today you can be my mirror! Is it a yes or a no?  I know what I think but I am interested in your view too!

1. baybeachgirl
    November 20, 2012 / 9:57 pm

Ooh am I first? Jolly good…..sorry Beth, but its a no from me, much as I love Boden this has a tiny touch of dare I say it ….. frump….about it. Not up to your usual style x

2. PoppysStyle
    November 20, 2012 / 10:00 pm

I love the dress but think you need something simpler on your feet/legs with it?

3. Nicola Dutton
    November 20, 2012 / 10:12 pm

Don't like this dress… It doesn't hang right.

4. Wendy
    November 20, 2012 / 10:14 pm

Agree with Poppystyle.. I like but need something simpler on the bottom. 🙂

5. MsMarple
    November 20, 2012 / 10:15 pm

I love it and would definitely keep! However, I would put a slim leather belt with it and change the shoes and tights…

November 20, 2012 / 10:36 pm

Sorry … I don't think it's up to your usual style either. Not sure that changing tights or shoes would make much of a difference. Sorry … I don't like being negative 🙁

7. Sam Ball
    November 20, 2012 / 10:38 pm

Hi Beth, I love the print but it seems to hang a bit too straight, so I would add a waist belt and have black tights instead of blue.

8. Sian
    November 20, 2012 / 11:39 pm

Hi….I think it needs a few more buttons opening at the top and black tights and maybe black knee high boots would give it a much more relaxed edge.

• Honor
      November 21, 2012 / 8:03 am

Yes, I think this would def improve it but it still screams Boden to me – too obvious. Sorry!

9. Sue Wilty
    November 20, 2012 / 11:40 pm

It's a 🙁 sorry

10. Iva Grbesic
    November 21, 2012 / 1:46 am

I would need to see the dress again with these changes before I said a final yes – few more buttons unbuttoned, throw away the self belt and find a thin belt in a complimentary colour, different tights and shoes. This dress could be for someone with more curves.I finished reading all the comments and I just realized that all my suggestions have been said. Love the post. Great reader feedback.

11. Debbie Took
    November 21, 2012 / 6:37 am

I'm not sure that it's a case of 'loving or loathing' prints in general – just particular prints. Most of my dresses are prints (Boden), but there are some Boden prints I'd never wear! This particular print is a bit too Sixties for me, in that, at 54, I don't really want to go back there! But I do think it looks lovely on you.

12. kathynewlyn
    November 21, 2012 / 7:28 am

I like it but agree with other comments, maybe a leather belt would look nicer?

November 21, 2012 / 7:38 am

No No No its awful sorry but you are petite and it looks frumpy, wrong length, too patternd for your frame and the tights are wrong, and the shoes My husband would hate it too

14. Alberta
    November 21, 2012 / 8:43 am

YES! (only different tights)

15. Jenny Fraser-Nash
    November 21, 2012 / 9:02 am

Sorry Beth it's a no from me. With your petite figure I think the print is a little overwhelming.

16. mrs green @myzerowaste
    November 21, 2012 / 9:10 am

A no from me. You have a beautiful face which shines and this dress is detracting from you…

November 21, 2012 / 9:13 am

Hi Beth, yes I like dress on you, but would agree needs black tights etc. Love your daily inspiration! Leigh x

November 21, 2012 / 9:31 am

It's a 'yes' from me – although maybe I would undo another top button and wear higher heels and black opaque tights with it (to avoid any possible frump factor!). In fact, I like it so much that I've just gone and ordered one myself … Suzyx

19. Sharon
    November 21, 2012 / 9:51 am

Love Boden…although sometimes wish they could turn the volume down on their prints. Sorry it's a no from me…just not sure about the style of the dress either…

20. Zuzana
    November 21, 2012 / 11:06 am

I think the dress has got a styling potential. I am not afraid of prints, so I´d say yes to the dress :), but would probably break the print down with a one-colored leather belt and add a jacket in a neutral color (maybe a leather one for Autumn). I´d also change the blue tights (there´s already enough blue in the print)and shoes, which don´t go with the style in my head (black looks a bit too harsh with the other colors for me). I also think the hem could be a couple of inches higher. But I am no professional, so it´s just my opinion :).

21. SapphirePeony
    November 21, 2012 / 11:17 am

I like this dress on you, but I think black tights & knee high boots would be better (that's how I'd choose to wear it). I also like the suggestion of a different belt.

22. Gillian
    November 21, 2012 / 12:03 pm

I think its the scale of the print that is overpowering your petite frame. I like the shape and the colours but print is too large.

23. Kate
    November 21, 2012 / 12:11 pm

Love your usual outfits Beth but this one gets a no from me – sorry! The print is too loud, the dress is too long, which gives it a slightly frumpy look, and there's too much blue…

24. Liz
    November 21, 2012 / 1:30 pm

I'm afraid its a no from me too. The main thing I don't like is the print (which is insane and shrieks Boden). You have such a great slender figure that a different clingy button down dress would look fab on you (eg. black dress funked up with belt and shoe-boots). Just my humble opinion 🙂

November 21, 2012 / 2:21 pm

It's a no from me – sorry not your usual classy self x LJH

26. ASH
    November 21, 2012 / 5:15 pm

I think you can carry it off…. but maybe without the blue tights? I think it would look good over jeggings and with ankle boots. Also, does it have a self fabric tie belt? Would also look good with a heavy leather one maybe… sort of 'toughen it up' a bit?

• ASH
      November 21, 2012 / 5:16 pm

sorry didn't realise other had mentioned belt – didn't read the other comments first – so there you go – an honest opinion 🙂

27. Hayley
    November 21, 2012 / 6:56 pm

It's a 'yes' from me Beth!

28. Rachel
    November 21, 2012 / 7:05 pm

Definitely a 'NO' from me. The print is the main reason I dislike the dress, but the style is the other. No change of belt, tights or footwear would change the fact that I can think of so many better ways to spend £89!

29. StyleGuile
    November 21, 2012 / 9:01 pm

Hello and thank you for all of your comments which I will take a closer look at over the weekend. I meant to say that the tights were the wrong choice – this was just a quick try on with what I had to hand with me, which wasn't much (we needed room in the boot for logs, fizz and cake!)

November 21, 2012 / 9:36 pm

Ooooh Beth that's naughty…..you're a stylist, fashion blogger and chic lady……With all that fantastic fashion know how would you really have posted a pic with you wearing the wrong shade of hosiery?I think it's great that even you can make a fashion faux pas occasionally….we all do.

31. StyleGuile
    November 26, 2012 / 9:37 pm

Hello to you all and thank you for your comments – great feedback! I am sure that I will use you all as my mirror again! I love the retro print and the colours. If it worked in every other respect I would probably have it shortened so that the proportions were better but for me it was another issue which made me unsure. Whilst I loved the bottom hug from the back, the tummy hug from the front wasn't quite so flattering! Oh well, as this fabric proved on me, you can't have your cake and eat it!!!